JOB TITLE: Planner
DEPARTMENT: Certified Building Department
SALARY: Range 18 - $65,395.20- $84,822.40
HOURS: Full –time Monday - Friday; 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
The planner will work as a liaison to implement a planning-forward mindset and practices within the city and will serve as the main point of contact for the Administration and Council regarding future developments. The planner will work with the other departments to establish a regular process for review and approval of rezoning applications, oversee the review process of subdivisions, and initiate a long-range Comprehensive Plan for the city. The planner will be responsible for establishing processes and procedures, and over time, will grow the department to serve the city and its citizens. The planner will be a representative of the city to residents and businesses.
- Lead long-range planning activities including but not limited to the comprehensive and thoroughfare plan;
- Oversee planning for future growth through potential annexations;
- Review rezoning applications and make recommendations to the Planning Commission;
- Review Zoning Appeals and Variances and provide guidance to the Board of Zoning Appeals on such applications;
- Lead Planning Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals; communicate with applicants, coordinate with interested parties as needed for information and present all cases to respective Boards;
- Act as liaison between various departments to integrate planning activities into city’s work. Work with administration on setting goals and implementing action plan;
- Assist the Zoning Inspector as needed with the review of applications for zoning compliance;
- Review and provide feedback on subdivision applications and coordinate with Engineer and other applicable city offices;
- Perform grant writing duties as needed;
- Answer questions from the general public regarding planning and zoning issues;
- Work with Historic Commission to preserve and promote appropriate investments into the city’s historic downtown;
- Represent the City of Lancaster at the Fairfield County Regional Planning Committee;
- Work with City Port Authority regarding site specific development opportunities.
- A Degree from a four-year accredited college or university with major coursework in planning or related field is required.
- A Master’s degree in urban or regional planning, engineer, business or related field preferred.
- Previous experience in a public agency performing planning, site plan review, and rezoning review functions is preferred.
- Considerable knowledge of the theory, principles and techniques of the planning profession, economic development, and urban development concepts.
- AICP certification or desire to become AICP certified preferred.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Knowledge of ARCGIS and design programs such as InDesign, Canva, and other similar programs.
- Strong communication skills, well organized and a self-starter that can solve problems independently.
- Must possess a valid Ohio Driver’s license and be insurable under the City’s Liability Policy to operate City vehicles.
- Must successfully complete pre-employment physical, drug screen, criminal background investigation and driver’s license check.
Those interested in applying for the position of City Planner may click here
. The position will remain open until filled.