The City of Lancaster is seeking an Assistant City Engineer. This is a professional engineering position involving duties in planning, design and construction of all capital improvements in the City of Lancaster. This position exercises considerable independent judgment and discretion in the interpretation and application of state laws, local ordinances, regulations and procedures, and makes technical decisions on assigned work.
- Assists the City Engineer in the planning and implementation of capital improvements, including: design, cost estimates, specifications, surveys, bidding, construction supervision and financing.
- Directs and reviews design work of consultants performing work for the City.
- Reviews development plans submitted to ensure compliance with City standards including, but not limited to, street construction, utilities, traffic, parking, sidewalk and storm water management requirements.
- Preparation of funding/grant applications for external funding of City infrastructure projects.
- Provide technical assistance to all City Departments and the City Planning Commission.
- Reviews public records, legal plats, property surveys, and documents regarding annexations, lot splits, easements, dedications and vacations.
- Prepares legislation as required for funding, assessments and ordinance revisions.
- Preparation of deeds for right of ways, property purchases and easements.
- Assists City Engineer with developing/updating standards of construction methods and materials.
- Assures that all items used in City construction projects conform to current City standards.
- Coordinates work of utility companies.
- Interacts with consultants and State Agencies dealing with the City of Lancaster.
- Knowledge of: drafting techniques; civil engineering; surveying techniques; structural design principles; topography; city zoning/building code; urban planning; construction inspection techniques; safety practices and procedures.
- Provide technical information to assist the public.
- Assists the City Engineer with annual bridge inspections.
- Maintains required licenses; attends technical and professional development seminars.
- Civil engineering design, writing specifications, and associated duties.
- Perform other assigned or required duties related to the Essential Functions of this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering preferred or related engineering field.
- Five year experience in city, county or state government, or the civil engineering consulting field.
- Ohio PE registration.
- Must possess Ohio Drivers’ License and be insurable.
- Must successfully complete pre-employment physical, drug test, driver’s license check, and criminal background check.
- The City of Lancaster is an Equal Opportunity Employer.